I love this month! The weather is (usually) perfect. I get to celebrate my first anniversary. It brings the feeling of “change” – most often for the better. I’m hoping to make some big changes this month, but I’d be jumping ahead of myself if I didn’t rewind to the goals I set for myself last month.
1. Body fat testing appointment – Yeah, didn’t quite do that, but more on this in my May goals!
2. Snack before 10pm – I failed miserably on this front, but I blame my dinner time for this. I don’t often eat dinner before 7:30 or 8pm so I’m craving my nightly popcorn by 10:30. I take, literally, an hour to eat a bag of popcorn, which leaves me snacking past 11pm. NOT GOOD! How do I fix it? See those May goals!
3. Run a 5k outdoors with no stopping – Done! I was actually successful in this goal just a few days into the month. The downside? I didn’t run any further than a 5k once I completed this goal. Fail.
4. Participate in another new activity with the hubby – We “browsed” a pet store, which happens to be more like a zoo. It was several hours of fun!
So I was about 50/50 on my goals. Better than nothing, right? Any accomplishment is a move in the right direction!
Anyhow, I spent a good majority of this past week back up in Northern VA, admiring the grocery stores that I don’t have and eating my weight in Subway and soy chips. I so wish we had a Wegman’s down here, but it will just have to remain my NoVa treat. These have to be my favorite Wegman’s find –
High protein, yummy cheddar flavor. What more could a snacker ask for?! At least it made the hotel room meals a bit better. I was so happy to return home to my stove (and hubby), though. My first night back, I knew he would want some spaghetti so I gave the boy what he wanted and tossed together my own dish of deliciousness –
My mix had asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini, ground chicken breast, sauce and shirataki noodles. AND I ate the entire pan in one sitting – Subway, it was not! It was the best welcome home (next to hugs and kisses from the hubby, of course).
Once I got back home, I dove right into those aforementioned changes and hit up a gym that is not the one that I work at. I know, I could be called a traitor, but this gym is amazing and affordable. They offer more classes, more equipment that is always working and other exceptional amenities like a cardio movie theater, rock wall, smoothie bar and a wider variety of weight equipment. You should have seen the smile on my face when I put this card on my keychain –
They just so happened to be giving away some yummy stuff the day I signed up. It was a nice welcome gift –
I’ve seen the mini Luna’s on other blogs, but never in person. I am saving it for tomorrow’s pre-workout snack. I feel a bit guilty, but I can already see an improvement in the intensity of my workouts. It lessens the guilt 🙂
So let’s get to May’s goals, shall we? I didn’t do quite as well as I had hoped in April, so I am already set with 2 goals:
1. Body fat testing – I discovered that my alma mater, ODU, has a facility with a Bod Pod, which tests total body composition/density without submerging you underwater. I came across a Bodybuilding forum where someone had gone to the facility and they had done his. I’m guessing use of the Bod Pod costs between $25-50 so this month I plan to call and inquire and hopefully have a good idea of where I stand so that I can compare results. It would have been nice to know my starting point 5 years ago, but there’s always room for improvement!
2. No more late-night snacking – Moving dinner up and going to bed by 11:30 every night should cut out the post-10pm snacks. I really need to hold myself to high standards on this one!
3. Early morning Plyo (Wake Up Call Challenge) – Have you been over to meals and moves recently? Janetha is hosting a Wakeup Call Challenge this month and I am signed up and ready to go. In fact, I started yesterday with 8 minutes of plyo before heading to the gym and did 6 minutes this morning. I have always been a morning person, but this is an excellent warm-up to fuel my pre-gym fire! I’ll be tracking my progress under the new link on my homepage titled “Wake Up Call” and would love it if you’d join us on our quest. Go over to Janetha’s website and let her know you want to participate as well!
4. The biggest goal yet – Put in my 2 weeks notice at Bally – I know. It sounds like a lofty goal, but I am very optimistic about my job interview last week for a laboratory assistant position at my alma mater 🙂 I have worked in the Bio department already and am hoping that it is enough pull to get me the job. I am cautiously optimistic, but optimistic nonetheless.
Not only that, but I feel unhappy about where I am now – as if I am wasting years of education. I have felt this way for a while, but the unease is growing. The new gym membership was another sense of freedom for me. I can use the Bally gym for free because I work there, but getting another membership at a new gym is preparation for me to leave my current job. I am so hopeful for my month of change and growth.
Does May bring a feeling of change for you? Have you set any goals for yourself for this month?